Hi!

One year ago Michael Widenius posted this:

    We have on the other hand played with the idea to at some point
    implement SQL commands of type:

    ISAM INSERT table_name (...)
    ISAM UPDATE table_name SET ... WHERE key_name=(key_part1,key_part2,...);
    ISAM READ table_name FIRST
    ISAM READ table_name NEXT
    ISAM READ table_name NEXT LIMIT 10  #This would read the next 10 rows
    ISAM READ table_name PREV
    ISAM READ table_name LAST
    ISAM READ table_name WHERE key_name=(key_part1,key_part2,...);

    Most of the above would be trivial to parse but could give you direct
    access to the lover ISAM/MyISAM levels with fill cacheing.

Is this still only an idea? I'm asking because I want to migrate a lot of
applications from a mainframe to Unix which all use ISAM. I could simply use
native ISAM on Unix too of course but I want an SQL-interface too. Since its
not possible to access ISAM tables directly while the same tables are under
control of mysqld I have to use the SQL-parser.

Besides the performance issue there is another problem with SQL:
The ISAM-API has a different meaning of a cursor than in SQL. I can set this
cursor to the first or last row or to any row by supplying a primary key.
Then I can read forward and backward row by row and this I can't simply
emulate
with SQL. Or at least this is very difficult and slow to accomplish with
SQL.

MyISAM)
         which is usable in parallel to or in combination with the
SQL-parser?

Bye,
Volker