At 10:56 PM +0200 7/7/01, Werner Stuerenburg wrote:
>Hm. I use php and that has a fuction addslashes which does the
>job - it adds slashes for all critical characters. So it
>transforms " to \"  - is that what you need?

I am working with a CGI type application that has recently added
MySQL to its list of available datasources. I cannot say which as I
am under NDA. I think in this case the adding of a double quote is
because of the way that the CGI is handling the input. I find that
using the terminal I can indeed just add quotes to a field. I don't
know how I can add the other types of characters and see if there are
there since they are in effect invisible.

So it is really that MySQL can handle ANY character? As long as it is
ASCII 1-255? It is a matter of being able to get the data in there?
(and having some way to display it when retrieving it?)

I thought that the way the data was stored you could not use certain
characters.

If this is the case, then thanks for your help in clarifying the issue.

--
Michael
__