they can't access them! are you sure about that?

indeed, if a user is logged on to the web host, he is acting in the
environment imposed by the operating system on the user session. in this
case, the other databases - given that the correct permissions are
established - can not be accessed.

but consider the case where the database is accessed thru a web page.
Dubois briefly discusses this topic in MySQL.

Now the user - any user - is running as whatever the web page server is
running as. so if user A wants to provide web access to his database, the
login name and password must be available to the user that the web page
server runs as.

so i can write a script, invoke it thru the web server and read user A's
cnf file which gives me his login name and password. I just got access.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to this problem. If anyone has a
solution, i would really appreciate the answer.

I have a solution to prevent modifying the database, but it is really ugly
- full of security holes. i do not have a solution to prevent reading the
database.

my web host is running linux with an apache web server.

thanks