I'd like to include a line in certain output lists like this:

    "Showing 97 contacts out of 324"

Other than doing a SELECT...FROM CONTACTS and getting the count from
that result and THEN doing a SELECT....WHERE for the results I
actually want to see, is there some more efficient way of getting the
total number of rows in a particular table?  It just seems like doing
two searches would be a waste of time.... or am I wrong?

The information is there in SHOW TABLE STATUS, but I don't know how
to get it out.  I didn't find anything else at mysql.com or in any of
my books that helped here.  I'm using PHP for the interface.

I've thought about storing a few bits of information like that in a
separate table (that would be updated once a day), but don't know if
that would be more efficient.

Thank you,
Nelson