From: Andy C [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 10 July 2001 13:55
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Processes Sleeping for a long time

Please excuse if this is a FAQ or well known effect.  I'm running mySql
version  3.23.36 on a Winnt 4.0 Sp6a machine.  It's connected to
a jsp page (running on resin2..0.0) through mmsql JDBC drivers.

Over a period fo days I'm seeing a build up of sleeping threads which will
eventually
meet the max_threads value.    Now I hasten to add I am really only
a beginer with mySql.

Is there some way I can clear these sleeping threads and free up Id's?  Is
there
a way to "garbage" collect threads that have been sleeping for maore than
say
24 hours ?

I've attached a potion of the "Show Processlist" output.

Andy C
Editor r2 project
http://www.r2-dvd.org

+------+-----------+---------------------------------+---------+---------+--
------+-------+------------------+
| Id   | User      | Host                            | db      | Command |
Time   | State | Info             |
+------+-----------+---------------------------------+---------+---------+--
------+-------+------------------+
|    1 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
247744 |       | NULL             |
|    2 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
247783 |       | NULL             |
|    3 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
247809 |       | NULL             |
|    4 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
247754 |       | NULL             |
|    5 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
247826 |       | NULL             |
|   19 | installer | localhost                       | NULL    | Sleep   | 2
|       | NULL             |
|  214 | installer | localhost                       | film    | Sleep   |
9749   |       | NULL             |
|  405 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
247733 |       | NULL             |
|  406 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
246930 |       | NULL             |
|  417 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
246954 |       | NULL             |
|  434 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
246900 |       | NULL             |
|  435 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
246869 |       | NULL             |
|  438 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
104816 |       | NULL             |
|  439 | installer | localhost                       | Stories | Sleep   |
183613 |       | NULL             |