I hit up against something like this a while ago,
but I didnt have time to debug so I used a quick hack to
get by.

Say you are storing a text article

--------------------------
| ArticleID  | INT       |
--------------------------
|ArticleName | TEXT      |
--------------------------

I just created a separate table to hold the text

-------------------------
Articleid  |   INT      |
-------------------------
textid     |   INT      |
-------------------------
text       |   TEXT     |
-------------------------

When saving the text I split it up into small chuncks
and then give each chuck an number in order.
Each chunck gets stored in the second table
and is identified by the articleid.

To reassemble the text I read in all the chunks from teh
second table.

The my program works with the text

When I need to save the edited text I drop all entries for
that article from the second table , break the edited text into
chunks again. And save.

Its probably inefficent as hell, but for my purposes it worked.