Neil Barnes

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    et>                  cc:

                                         Subject:     Root Login Problem

                    11.07.01

                    17:11

Hi everyone.
Please see below, I cannot login as the root user in MySQL. Access-Denied
... any ideas anyone?

My System = RedHat Linux 7.0 (all latest patches applied)   Intel Pentium
III

MySQL rpm's installed =

MySQL-3.23.39-1.i386.rpm
MySQL-client-3.23.39-1.i386.rpm
MySQL-shared-3.23.39-1.i386.rpm

Installed OK no problem.

I ran mysql_install_db no problem.

Now try to install new root password...as per documentation....

[root@mail mysql]# mysqladmin -password FalsePass
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

Hi Neil,

I have the same issue on a completely different OS to yours, WinNT Server
4, using MySQLGUI (or the bare mysql console).

Well I can connect as a testuser (eg 'andreas') but there's no way to get
in as root.
But it's odd that both of us have the problem even though we use completely
different OSes.
This seems to be a _general_ problem, I guess.

Andreas