On 11-Jul-01 Joshua Stewart wrote:
> umm when i declare a unique constraint on 2 fields in a table like so
>
> unique (col1,col2),
>
> if i insert data into the table will it check them individually or as a
> composite?

Composite

 (1,1)
 (1,2)
 (2,1)
 (2,2)
 (1,2) < error duplicate
 (2,1) < error duplicate

> for example if i inserted the values
> col1  |   col2
>    1,         A
>    1,         B
>    2,         B
>    2,         A
>
> if the above unique constraint is declared will it give me errors when
> inserting?

  should be fine, what error did you get when you tried it ?

> neither col1 or col2 are a primary key but together they could be
> considered a composite candidate key pair

  That why it allows such things.

--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to