I've been reading the documentation for the last 3 hours in search for
the answer to this question, to no avail.  To preserve the little
eyesight I have left, I've decided to post it.

I've been trying to install mysql-max-3.23.39 on a Linux system
(pc-linux-gnu-i686).  The daemon runs fine, but how does one *set* the
password for root after a fresh installation?

The only information I've been able to find is:

  PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
  This is done with:
  ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
  ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h my.machine.com -p password 'new-password'

from the output of mysql_install_db.  What does it mean?  The usage
info for mysqladmin says:

  -p, --password[=...]  Password to use when connecting to server
                        If password is not given it's asked from the tty

Does that mean that the word 'password' in

  ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'

represents the initial root password?  Isn't root supposed to start
out with no password?  And what does 'new-password' refer to?

Anyway, if I ignore the fact that it's nonsensical, and I type the
above I get:

  # ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
  Enter password:
  ./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
  error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

What is going on?

Thanks,

KJ