Kenneth, thanx. I also wanted to say the same.

Sorry if I made all of you a bit confused but I would
just like you people to know that this part:

#groupadd mysql
#useradd -g mysql mysql
#cd /usr/local
#gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz> | tar xvf
-
#ln -s mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
#cd mysql
#scripts/mysql_install_db
#chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
#chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
#chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
#chown -R root /usr/local/mysql/bin
#bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

from the manual that came with the
mysql-3.23.39-pc-solaris2.8-i386.tar.gz. I assumed
that it was pretty obvious since I believe that all of
you guys have read the manual before and I assumed
this part:

1759
# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
 /usr/local/mysql-3.23.39-pc-solaris2.8-i386/data
 Segmentation Fault - core dumped
 010711 16:21:08  mysqld ended

have obviously shown the mysql-VERSION-OS part.

I only said that I am a solaris newbie but I have
several years in linux system administration
experience and these things for me are very obvious.

Sorry for assuming.

By the way, I also have also installed mysql in linux
using another package of course and the same procedure
and had no problems. Now, I want to test it in solaris
(intel) box even if the documentations and the manuals
stated that I'll get a lot of errors running mysql on
solaris. I just thought that maybe some of you guys
had already done it, perhaps have the same problems,
and now are running mysql happily on a solaris(intel)
platform. Please help me.

I am really sorry for causing all the troubles...

Breughel