It sounds like you ISP doesn't know what they're talking about.  All access
to the server is VIA TCP/IP, even when you are connecting with ODBC.  Unless
they mean, set up an ODBC client on the server, then you connect to that,
somehow.  I don't know if you can do that.

They might say that for a few reasons:

1. It creates more admin overhead for them.  But, it shouldn't, if they give
you all access rights on your database, then you can add/delete users for
your database all you want (I think)

2.  They don't want bandwitdth for their server being taken up by other
applications, like database access.

3. They are just being a pain, and don't want to offer any free services to
their clients.

It would seem to me, that enless their web-based client is running over SSL,
IT is actually more of a security risk, because it is sending passwords in
the clear.  If you are using a MySQL client, there is at least some password
encryption, plus you could set up an SSH link to the MySQL server if you
wanted.

Hope all that rambling helped someone.

j----- k-----

On Friday 13 July 2001 16:19, Bruce Vander Werf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to create some tables in a database on an SQL
> server at my web provider, then access those tables via a client
> application running on my PC over the Internet (dial-up connection). My
> understanding is that the client application accesses the SQL server via
> TCP/IP and not ODBC.
>
> My web provider says no way. They can enable an ODBC connection for one
> static IP address, which is not an acceptable solution, because a) I don't
> want to use ODBC, and b) my dial-up connection may use one of a range of IP
> addresses. They will not let me have direct TCP/IP access to the database.
>
> My question is why my ISP would say this. Of course the database is
> password protected, so I don't see why direct access is any more a security
> risk than using their web-based client. Is this common practice among ISPs,
> or do I need to shop for a new one? Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Bruce Vander Werf
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
[EMAIL PROTECTED], 907-474-7601