On 14-Jul-01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Descritpion:
> Hello,
>
>       I've got MySQL installed on a P-III 1ghz machine running RedHat 7.  I
am
> havign the same error, over and over again when I attempt to delete anything
> from any table.  I've tried this delete from being ROOT to being a peon
> user.
> Heres my query:
>
>  DELETE FROM topicexception WHERE word='SEXY';
>
> And heres my return text:
>
> ERROR 1175: You are using safe update mode and you tried to update a table
> without a WHERE that uses a KEY column

take safe-updates out of your ~/.my.cnf file
or type
    SET SQL_SAFE_UPDATES=0 after connecting.

<snip>

>>Fix:
>       No fix.. Nothing in the documentation about this either.

My manual has it :

`-U, --safe-updates[=#], --i-am-a-dummy[=#]'
     Only allow `UPDATE' and `DELETE' that uses keys. See below for
     more information about this option.  You can reset this option if
     you have it in your `my.cnf' file by using `--safe-updates=0'.

A useful startup option for beginners (introduced in *MySQL* Version
3.23.11) is `--safe-updates' (or `--i-am-a-dummy' for users that has at
some time done a `DELETE FROM table_name' but forgot the `WHERE'
clause)

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to