I have a very simple query that used to work and then recently stopped.  It
goes something like:

SELECT name FROM Items WHERE category RLIKE '^\* new cat \*';

Now, I'm pretty familiar with how regex works, and I was pretty sure that
when I put a \ in front of the * it would interpret it as a * instead of the
"0 or more of previous" operator.  But it's giving me the following error:

    Got error 'repetition-operator operand invalid' from regexp

I really need to figure this out.  I was told by someone to double-escape
them (like"  "^\\* new.."), but to me that would read as "0 or more \
characters at the beginning of the string", not "a string that starts with
the * character" which is what I need.

Help?