On 16-Jul-01, Colin Faber said something totally profound about Re: Problems
installing under solaris 2.5.1 that made me ponder...

CF> You need to make sure that the gcc on your box is build on that box,
CF> Using a package won't do it, most of them where compiled on greater or
CF> lesser hardware versions than you might be running, This in turn causes
CF> the compiler it self to think that its running in cross-compile mode
CF> and mysql won't allow a cross compile(er) build.

I've been using gcc packages from SunFreeware.com for the last couple of
years.  I've not run into this problem yet.  I have also always kept my
version of gcc recent, and have had no problems compiling, installing, or
running MySQL binaries created by gcc v3.0.

However, this question (installation problems on Solaris with the "cross
compile" error message) has been asked and answered on this list NUMEROUS times.  To
quote every message on this list:

"Before posting, please check:

[snip]

CF>>> checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
CF>>> checking for bison... no
CF>>> checking for byacc... no
CF>>> checking for pdftex... no
CF>>> checking return type of sprintf... configure: error: can not run test
CF>>> program while cross compiling

You don't have bison, which is recommended, although off the top of my head I
can't remember where I read that.

I've been using the instructions detailed on my page below for quite some time
now, without incident.  The source of the page details from where I compiled the
information.  Please keep in mind that that is a bare minimum install, and you may
have other options you wish to use.

< http://users.talstar.com/forager/MySQL-HOWTO.html >

This has worked for SPARC Solaris 2.4, 2.5.1, 2.6, and 7, as well as Intel
Solaris 7 and 8.

Good luck.
--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :     YourVillage.com
  Assistant Systems Administrator  :   2700 Apalachee Pkwy