Problem under Win2000 with any file having a .cnf extension.

That extension is reserved by Win2000 as a system (Speed Dial) file
and will automatically hide the extension from you.

You can't search for it and it will not show it.  IF you create a my.cnf
file, it appears as "my"

I use 'WINNT\my.ini' just fine as documented in 4.16.5 of the Manual
and it works well.

Regards,
Fred

            \\|//