Hi,

    My meager little mysql server is now hosting about 5000 databases.
They typically seem to be web based chat BBS's like phpNuke, phpBB and
vbulletin.   Typical tables are small, and typical queries are simple
"select * from table where id=somevalue".   The users seem to be happy, but
of course I'm looking for ways to improve performance.

    The system is a PII-350 with 128 Meg of RAM.  Top usually reports 10 to
15 mysqld processes and the system load rarely bumps past 0.2, usually a lot
less.   Here is my status (rebooted about an hour ago after adding a drive
:)):

Threads: 69  Questions: 94869  Slow queries: 3  Opens: 10531  Flush tables:
1  Open tables: 64 Queries per second avg: 17.802

I expected that with 10+ mysqld processes the load would be higher, but this
ancient PII-350 isn't even breathing hard (so I have no excuse to tell my
wife I need to upgrade!)   I'm not swapping, so I don't seem to need more
memory....so where is my bottleneck?   Or do I even have one??   Perhaps I'm
running perfectly :)

Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress
FreeSQL.org offering free database hosting to developers
Visit http://www.freesql.org