Hello all,

I haven't been using MySQL very long.  I'm more in the 'playing with it'
stage, trying to learn all the in's and out's.  So, here is my current
dilemma:

I want to be able to reference (select) a field/column by it's position
in the table rather than by the field's name.  Is there a way to do
this?  To me, the logical syntax would be something like - "select
field(3) from event1".  But I've tried that with no success.  I know the
'down and dirty' way of doing it.  But I'm lazy and would prefer the
shortcut.  The program I am looking to develop would require MANY
queries that 'describe table_name' to get the field names associated
with the positions in the table.

If this can't be done, then so be it.  It would just save me a very
large headache if it's out there and available.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kay Bowen