yes. the user table must reference the sysid. and the sysid must be unique
in the computer system table.

some how  or another the input data must make the association.

you could also have a unique name in the computer system table. then the
input data could say john doe uses computer xyz. the code that updates the
user table can extract the sysid from the computer system table based on
the name. then the user table is updated with the user name and the sysid.

hth

At 10:00 PM 7/19/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been looking through the documentation and searching through the
>list for answers to this question, but have not yet figured out how to do so.
>
>Basically, I want to have multiple tables linked together.  I have seen a
>lot of talk about foreign keys and that MySQL does not support them.  I am
>not sure if foreign keys is the answer to my problem, but I could
>definetly use some suggestions from the more experienced MySQL users.
>
>I want to have one table with information about computer systems such as
>system name, os, and cpu speed which used an integer , called sysid, for
>the primary key.  I also wanted to have a table which listed the people
>who use a particular system.  I figured that I would need to have
>the  user table reference the sysid so that I could make sure that the
>right people were listed for the right system.
>
>I also wanted to avoid having to set the sysid manually when inserting
>data into the user table.
>
>Please let me hear what you think the best solution would be.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phil

tom marlin
tjmarlin@<nospam>surfree.com
My mind wanders a lot; sometimes it leaves completely.