According to _MySQL & mSQL_, by Yarger et al (O'Reilly) the TEXT
datatype holds 64KB of data.

Since my math skills and understanding of character storate are,
well...wretched, someone should check me on this:

    64KB = 64000 bytes = 64,000 characters (@ 1 character/byte),
          (or better than 10,000 English words).

Or am I really wrong about this?

Some character sets use 2 bytes per character and thus that number
would be halved.

MySQL also supports 3 other TEXT-type datatypes: TINYTEXT (255 char),
MEDIUMTEXT (16MB), and LONGTEXT (4GB).

And a further question of my own: I'm not sure what the efficacy of
using MEDIUMTEXT would be.  The size of the actual resulting field is
(# bytes + 3) - while for TEXT it's (# bytes + 2).  Therefore if your
text field consisted of 8MB a MEDIUMTEXT field would be one byte
longer than a TEXT version of the same field.  And what is the
benefit of TINYTEXT over a VARCHAR field?