I think this is a problem similar to that of ISPs. I don't know
about this technique personally, as I am not fit on Linux/Unix,
but restricting disc space on those systems is standard, so you
will know how to do that.

Databases for MySQL are just subdirectories, as you may already
know, so you may very easily restrict disc usage on those subdirs
for each student.

Also, you may use symbolic links and place those subdirs into the
dir structure you provide for the students anyway.

Surinder S. Dio schrieb am Montag, 23. Juli 2001, 17:09:54:

> Hi,

> I work in a university and need to give students access to a MySQL
> database from their php enabled web server.

> The apache/php stuff is all working but I was wondering on some advise
> as to how best to deal with a large number of students.

> Ideally waht I'd like to do is to setup MySQL so that each student has
> their own unique database, accessible from their own userid, this
> would mean a large (1000) number of relatively small databases (I'm
> hoping to restrict each student to approx 20Mb for Db usage) and they
> could setup their own tables etc via something like phpMyAdmin. They
> can have full access rights to their own individual db - but not see
> any other students's.

> The machine I've set aside for this purpose is a Sun Ultra 5 - 256Mb
> ram - plenty of swap and fast local disk.

> ALso I want to restrict the size of the database for each studnet - as
> this is only for learning php/mysql purposes and if theirs a more
> serious project then I can provide other facilities.

> Is this going to to be achievable - how are other Uni's or ISP who
> provide MySQL dealing with this tpye of issue.

> If I can't restrict the size of each database - should I be pursuing
> some other db option?

> Many thanks in advance
> Rgds
> Surinder

Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de