Hi,

I have looked through the documentation (http://www.mysql.com/docs)
and the mailing list archives
(http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/8/0/)
and find no mention of a feature that I was hoping was available:

  * text or varchar columns that are automatically compressed/uncompressed

I have a table with highly compressible data.  One of the fields is a
380-character field which represents a set of indicator flags
for upcoming dates.  (I am working in the travel industry.)
(Please don't talk to me about third normal form... this comes from a
legacy database, and it was easiest to keep their physical design.)

A daily data file is 5MB compressed (300MB uncompressed).
It adds roughly 300MB to the database each day!
It actually is causing me to consider storing this data outside the database
in compressed files.
The ugliness of this is somewhat appalling however.

I wish there were a feature in MySQL which would allow me to define
the table to contain "text" or "varchar" columns which would be automatically
compressed and decompressed dynamically (and completely transparently to
the user).

create table widget (
    widget_id     integer      not null auto_increment primary key,
    widget_cd     varchar(8)   not null,
    indicators    text         null compressed,
    more_flags    varchar(255) null compressed,
    unique widget_ak1 (widget_cd)
);

Has there been talk of such a feature?
(I am new to the list, but I didn't see it in the archives.)
Would it be hard to develop?
Where would one start?

Stephen