Hello All,

I've been trying upgrade our current MySQL 3.23.39 to the 3.23.40 I have tired
with both the binary distro and source distro with no luck. The install seems to
go OK, but I can't start the mysql server. This is on a RH/Linux 6.2 Kernel
2.4.6 i686 system.

The main problem seems to be, that our dedicated server comes with a WebHosting
Mgr browser interface and Cpanel for customers to use and the MySQL installation
is all tied into this. So it must be, for what I have been told, that we must
use the current settings to upgrade, which I did.

Datadir /var/lib/mysql

I tried with Mysql-Max binary install, but couldn't get the symbolic link to
work properly. I unpacked the tar in the /var/lib folder, then created the
symbolic link as it specifies to the mysql folder, still no luck.

I tried installing the source distro, with the ./configure
--prefix=/var/lib/mysql  Everything seem to install OK, but when attempting to
start the mysql server, sometimes it looks for the mysql.sock in the
/var/lib/mysql folder, and sometimes it looks for it in the /tmp folder. I
copied the mysql.server to the /etc/rc.d/init.d folder chmoded it 500, create
the various symbolic links to the /etc/rc2.d and rc3.d, rc4.d as outlined. Then
if I do: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql stop or start it complains it can create or find
the .pid file which is suppose to be in the /var/lib/mysql folder. all the chown
settings are correct: chown mysql.root for the /var/lib/mysql folder

I have a feeling something from the current version is causing some problems and
screwing with the upgrade. If any one maybe able to shed some lite to what I
maybe doing work, it would be much appreciated. Our support/tech people are very
slow to responded to help and we need to have this installed in the next day and
require the transaction support with BDB tables.

THX's,

Mike(mickalo)Blezien
Thunder Rain Internet Publishing
Providing Internet Solutions that work!