> Do the names of indexes have any significance to MySQL internals
> or is the name merely a convenience for the DB operator ?

Well, "PRIMARY KEY" does carry some significance... ;-)

Other than that, no. But you need them if you should ever
want to do an ALTER TABLE to change the index definitions.

> For now I try to match the index names to the column names used
> but I'm wondering if the name matters at all.

They only "matter" as far as using logical names will help you keep
your sanity when you need to restructure your DB three years hence.

/ Carsten
--
Carsten H. Pedersen
keeper and maintainer of the bitbybit.dk MySQL FAQ