on 7/26/01 11:21 AM, Anatole at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Additionally, I have to type the complete path to the new MySQL server, or
> it will try to connect with the previously installed version. Anyone know
> how I can get rid of the old files and fix my environment so that my new
> MySQL distribution is called when I enter "mysql", "mysqladmin", and the
> like on the command line?

the shell uses your PATH to determine which file to use when there are more
than one present. your PATH is a list of directories the shell looks in for
applications when you don't specify the full path. you can see your PATH by
typing "echo $PATH" at the command prompt. the first one the shell finds in
your PATH, the shell uses. my guess is that the old version of mysql is
showing up first in your PATH.

you can type "which mysql" and it will return the path to whichever binary
you shell wants to use.

you can also find all instances of mysql with "find / -name mysql". note
that if you don't have access to read all directories, you see a bunch of
errors scroll by for all the places you aren't allowed to look at.

hope this helps,
mike

 -- mike cullerton