Hi,

I have built a database with 7 tables in it, the time has come when I need to
create a suitable backup system so off I went to my manuals. I read through
the mysqldump command and everything seemed straight forward. I ran the
following...

mysqldump -uroot -ppassword --opt Database > file.mysql

And it exported fine, I read through the file.mysql and everything was in
there, all the tables and all the test data. I was happy but then I thought,
well I better check I know how to use the data if something does go wrong. So
I created a new database called 'testing' I read up on the mysqlimport and
was suprised to see it tell me that all the tables need to be present before
importing, I did try importing my file anyway just to double check and it did
fail. So I have a couple of questions.

Why does mysqldump allow you to dump all the table create data with the
actual data if the import function doesnt allow you to use it?

Because of this I assume the best method for backing up will be to dump all
the table create commands and save the file somewhere and then back up each
individual table's data regularly. Then if something did go wrong I can copy
n paste my table create commands into SHH/Telnet and then run import on each
of the table files. ???

Or am I just stupid and there is a much easier way to do all of this??? :-)

TIA

-Ade

~~Good things come to those who wait~~