Lectori Salutem,

as Stefan states here (und natürlich ganz richtig, Stefan) mysqldump is
*the* way to backup, and it will create large files. However, since you get
clear-text human readable text in the outfile -being all the mySQL commands
needed to recreate the database(s)- they're easy to compress with a pretty
good ratio.

Under linux, it's as easy as:

mysqldump --all-databases | gzip -c > my_dump_archive.sql.gz

To get the SQL-commands back, unzip the archive:

gzip -d my_dump_archive.sql.gz

To restore the databases, run the console output of gzip through mysql:

gzip -cd | mysql -u root -p<mypassword>

Of course, most of this could have been found in the list-archives on
http://lists.mysql.com

Regards,

Sebastiaan J.A. Kamp

General Manager