Hi Mauro

I would take Java.
My reasons:
1) I know Java better than Visual Basic.

2) It is platform independant.

3) You can use the mm JDBC-driver (a type 4 one) for direkt communication.
With Visual Basic you have to communicate with ODBC via MyODBC to MySQL (one more
step).
I found that ADO sometimes rewrites your query, so you have not always full control
over what happens.

But small programs written in VB are usually faster than Java programs.

Hope this helps
Christian