Thanks for all the replies - it shows me to look a little harder next time before I
send a question to the mailing list. Thanks, but .......
I did as it told but it still return an empty set. Here are the results:

mysql> show tables;
Empty set (0.01 sec)

mysql> select database();
+------------+
| database() |
+------------+
| blackbook  |
+------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> use blackbook;
Database changed
mysql> show tables;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from name;
+---------+------------+-------------+-----------+---------------+
| name_id | name_first | name_middle | name_last | name_lst_updt |
+---------+------------+-------------+-----------+---------------+
|       1 | Michael    | K.          | Turner    | NULL          |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

You can see that I am attached to a database and that tables exist but 'show tables;'
doesn't seem to work. I am sure it is user error but could you please show me my error.
Thanks in advance -

Blessings,
Mike

Revelation 1:8  I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, says the Lord,
who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
-- The Mighty JC