Errno: 1046
Error: No Database Selected

I get this on only one of my sites, on the first query during a
connection only, and actually it is an impossible error.

All sites are driven by db_mysql.inc from PHPLIB. Therefore,
everything is totally automatic, no chance to omit the database
name during connect.

In fact, when the query returns that error, I jump in between and
look for all the parameters, and indeed, they are present,
including the database -- nothing else could be expected.

If it occurs, it is a simple query SELECT * FROM lgs which will
return the languages supported at the time, three right now.
Simple table, simple query, three rows, so I guess the problem is
not located here.

I could hard code that stuff as well, but why? It worked fine for
a year. So this is rather interesting indeed.

Also, it does no harm as I default to a standard language if the
query doesn't work. But I get an email notice, so I know. The
rest runs fine, I didn't have problems although I reuse the
connection and do a lot of other queries shortly thereafter.

I notice this for at least 6 months now. It happens mostly in
intervals, say once a day on three days a week.  During the last
week, the behavior changed slightly.  I received thousands of
notices during the period of about one or two hours, then things
went back to normal.  Before, I mostly received tens or at most
hundreds of notices.

top shows a really funny picture if it happens: typically no
httpd, but 20 or more mysqld processes. I had a look at the
hostname.log which looked rather normal, issuing queries that
ought to be expected during normal page generation.

hostname.err shows
Number of processes running now: 34
mysqld process hanging, pid 2830 - killed

Currently, there is only this client on the machine.  Previously,
I had another site on the same machine which produced much more
load.  Back then, I experienced similar problems with processes
hanging.  Is this a clue to something?

What kind of questions could be asked in this situation?

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de