Adam Douglas schrieb am Donnerstag, 2. August 2001, 19:14:15:

> I have a group of 3 queries that's used to find our representative for
> Unitary, Applied and Wholesale based on a Zip Code. This all is executed
> through PHP to MySQL. The three queries work fine and get the results I
> want. The problem is the 3 queries seem to work one minute but not the next.
> You could enter say 3 or 4 zip codes and have it return results with no
> problem, but on the 5 try it will crap out. This seems to be random, one
> minute it wouldn't work on the first try and then the next it will. When the
> 3 queries crap out it renders MySQL useless, you can send or do any thing to
> MySQL when the 3 queries crap out. It puts my CPU usage to 99.0% and stays
> roughly there forever. I've left the query running for more then 8 hours and
> still nothing seems to be returned. Can anyone direct me in the right
> direction on how to resolve this problem?

I didn't have a look at your code as I don't think it is probable
that you will have a problem here. These days, I am hunting
problems similarly weird. I'm looking into faulty hardware now.

Yesterday, we changed 2 of the 3 128 MB RAM modules, which has
reduced problem frequency from 30 minutes to 10 hours. We see
from hostname.err that the problem occurs exactly when the log
records

010802 22:35:30  Aborted connection 231 to db:
'pferdezeitung' user: 'pferdezeitung' host: `localhost'
(Got an error writing communication packets)

So we will replace the 3rd module or all three to see what will
happen then. It might be the hard disk, though, or the
controller, or something else.

Also, it may be a good idea to look at the hostname.log to see
what mysql does when running wild. I did this to test queries
that seemingly produced errors, but when reproduced, they did
not, so this was proof that neither the query nor the data had
problems.

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de