On 04 Aug 2001 22:57:39 +0300, Khaled I. Hammouda wrote:
> Greetings ALL:
>
> I am developing a database application using mySQL & php for a client
> that requires data entry (at least) to be in Arabic.
>
> I am know that mySQL supports charsets, but it is not clear if it
> supports charsets that are not left-to-right, such as Arabic.
>
> If the answer to this is obvious and documented then please accept my
> apologies, and direct me to the right resource(s).

I didn't knew also and searched manual for word "arabic". There was
nothing about this. So if this charset not called somehow different then
it is not supported. But if this an true we are really interested about
information, how Arabic language is organized. Maybe you can point to
some source on the web? Changing left-right directions seems easy to me
on first look. We need information:

Is Arabic an single or multibyte character set?

In which order these characters should appear? (prorably some national
standard describes this)

Also we need information about upper->lower conversion if it is
applicable at all.

And after all the smallest thing is translating about 220 error messages
to Arabic. This is the part we cannot do as nobody of us can speak this
language as far I know :(

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/