I am trying to GRANT access to user [EMAIL PROTECTED]  MYSQL has a
problem with the white-home portion of the domain name.  I have tried
several ways to get around this including quoting the string.  So I used the
'%' to grant access but then the mm.mysql JDBC API uses xyz.white-home.com
and not localhost so the authorization fails.  This leads me to believe that
MySQL has a basic problem with a hypnated domain name.  This domain name is
perfectly legal does anyone know of a fix or what I'm missing?

The statement I'm using is:

GRANT INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,SELECT TO xyz.* FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IDENTIFIED BY 'aaaaa';

I get
error 1064: you have an error in your SQL syntax near -white.com IDENTIFIED
BY 'aaaaa'' at line 1

So I enclosed the user name stuff in double quotes as well as the password
and get
.
GRANT INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,SELECT TO xyz.* FOR "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
IDENTIFIED BY "aaaaa";

error 1145: The host or user argument to GRANT is too long

I have MySQL-3.23.36-1 rpm installed on a Redhat 7.1 linux system.

Regards,

Mike White
[EMAIL PROTECTED]