I experience entries in hostname.err like

010806 11:05:48  Aborted connection 1780 to db: 'pferdezeitung'
user: 'pferdezeitung' host: `localhost' (Got an error reading
communication packets)

The frequency of serious problems has dropped since we changed
RAM modules.

The ISP tells me that he performed fsck after that which proves
to him that there is _no_ hardware problem on the machine.

So - what else can be the cause of the error?

If I have few of those (reading or writing), the machine still
runs, but if I have lots of them in the same second (say 40),
mysqld and httpd change to status D in top and load average
rises, response times get very bad.

They have a cron job checking the bad condition every minute, which
will kill and restart http, now every 5 hours or so, so we can
live with it somehow. Before they changed RAM (and upgraded from
384 MB to 768), restart frequency was about 30 minutes.

Anything I can do or tell my ISP? We run on Intel single CPU 700
MHz, Linux Suse with Kernel 2.2.19, Server Apache/1.3.19
PHP/4.0.4pl1

I told him that Sinisa recommended Kernel 2.4 and they tell me,
that all of their machines run with 2.2.19 with no problems.

They tell me they have one client with more than 1 million hits
per day and a huge MySQL database, who never had problems.

I asked about check free space on both datadir and TMPDIR and
they say no problem.

We run 3.23.33 and they don't dare to change versions because of
possible problems. I don't have any experience. I suppose I could
unpack and just change executables, but I am reluctant to try.

We moved to that ISP 4 weeks ago. Before that, we never had any
errors of that kind (reading or writing) AFAICS.

We didn't have any problems the first 10 days (or we didn't
notice them), then all of a sudden things went crazy.

Quite naturally, I looked for programming errors first, but I
can't find any and it doesn't look like there are any.

We did have those errors right from the start, though, roughly
6.000 per day, more than 60.000 until we had massive problems and
I found out about it in hostname.err.

Any ideas where I can look at or test?

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de