Hi,
          I installed the mysql-3.22.26a version on my
linux machine and executed the following commands

Untar it and change into the source directory tree:
tar -xvzf mysql-3.22.26a.tar.gz
cd mysql-3.22.26a

Configure the package; I used following options:
./configure --prefix=/opt/mysql

Build it:
make

Install it; as root:
make install

You'll then need to configure the installation:

As root, create the grant tables:
scripts/mysql_install_db

As root, start the server:
/opt/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld &

As root, create the mysql user:
useradd -c "MySQL Administrator" -d /opt/mysql -g users
mysql

As root, give the installation tree to the mysql user:
chown -R mysql.users /opt/mysql

                   Now when i execute the "mysqladmin
version " command it says can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'.The MySQL
server is running but there is no /mysql/mysql.sock so what
do i need to do now.Thank you.

-venkat