on 8/6/01 10:13 PM, Trond Eivind Glomsrød at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Ling Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I have a fresh installed Linux 7.1 from Redhat. The mysal 3.23.36 was
>> installed together with the Redhat Linux. I can not start the mysql
>> server by executing /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &.
>
> You're not supposed to. To start mysql, as any service, do

<snip>

> What you've done (and too many others, where do they get this idea?)

um, perhaps from the INSTALL-SOURCE notes that come with the mysql
distribution

<quote from the aforementioned INSTALL-SOURCE>

After everything has been unpacked and installed, you should initialize
and test your distribution.

You can start the *MySQL* server with the following command:

     shell> bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

</quote>

i believe it's the way most of the world does it.

> is that you've created the database files as root. Then you start the
> database, which will run as "mysql". This user can obviously not write
> to root's files. Change the ownership manually, and try again - with
> "service mysqld start".

 -- mike cullerton