I shut the server down but did not flush the tables, presumably that
shouldn't matter (data saved to disk at server shutdown) ?

Also if I replace the binary files (debian) on the old server with the new
compile I can restart sql (now source build) & use my databases perfectly,
its only when I move the databases to a new machine it doesn't work.
Is there more than just the /usr/local/mysql, /var/lib/mysql & /etc/my.cnf
that needs to be moved ?

(I'm trying flushing the tables then moving the databases now)

Steve
---