Peter Zaitsev writes:
> Hello mysql,
>
>   It seems like you made an incomportable changes in 3.23.40 without
>   taking a time to write a release note :(
>
>   The mysql 3.23.39  used the system timezone by default:
>
> maindb:/spylog/mysql/logs # date
> Tue Aug  7 13:31:56 MSD 2001
>
> | transaction_isolation           | READ-COMMITTED

> | timezone                        | MSD

> | tmp_table_size                  | 4194304
>

> Therefore MYSQL 3.23.40 does not determinate the timezone correctly:

> | transaction_isolation           | READ-COMMITTED

> | timezone                        | Local time zone must be set--see´Ÿ manual page

> | tmp_table_size                  | 4194304

> It uses GMT in this case which could dammage the data (as went in my
> case)
>
> The other thing is the manual  does not contains much info about
> setting timezone - only option to safe_mysqld which exports TZ
> variable, which does not work:
>
> root     19380     1  0 13:43 pts/8    00:00:00 sh /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld
>--mysqld=mysqld --user=mysql --pid-file=/spylog/db/mysqld.pid --timezone=MSD
>--datadir=/spylog/db
>
> It set's the timezone according to required value but date still bad:
>
> | transaction_isolation           | READ-COMMITTED

> | timezone                        | MSD

> | tmp_table_size                  | 4194304
>

> mysql> select now();
> +---------------------+
> | now()               |
> +---------------------+
> | 2001-08-07 09:44:44 |
> +---------------------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Therefore date returns correct value.
>
> rat:/spylog/layers # date
> Tue Aug  7 13:47:05 MSD 2001
> rat:/spylog/layers #
>

> Do you have any ideas about this ?  How I can fix the problem ?
>

>  Peter                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Pjotr,

I just tested the above, and it worked just fine for me with 4.0.

But I have noticed something. If I mess up my shell, it will mess up
all programs started from it, including MySQL. We can not do anything
about it ...

If a shell that starts up MySQL does not have TZ set properly then
there is not much we can do about it ...

--
Regards,