This is on a RedHat 7.1 (very recently freshly installed) server with all
patched from updates.redhat.com installed and kernel 2.4.3-12.  RedHat 7.1
installed MySQL 3.23.36 and that's what it was running until this problem
came up and I upgraded it to 3.23.40 from the Roswell beta directory from
RedHat's FTP site as something to try.

If I do a mysqldump of a database taking up about 250MB with a bunch of
small tables and one 600,000+ record table it hangs. I get 42,908 bytes of
data in the dump file and no more. If I do a 'top' I still see mysql and
mysqldump using a lot of CPU but the file never grows larger. I've waited a
considerable length of time to see if it is caching something and will
eventually catch up. It doesn't.

Here's a tail of the dump file:

  INC_METHOD char(3) NOT NULL default '',
  INC_PER_UNIT int(6) NOT NULL default '0',
  INC_UNITS int(5) NOT NULL default '0',
  INC_UNIT_TYPE char(2) NOT NULL default '',
  INC_SCHED_C

Right after that last C is my # command prompt with no line-ending character
in the file. It gets part way through the describe of the table layout and
stops. Using phpMyAdmin I can view everything just fine and even renamed
that one field and then named it back thinking there could be a hidden
control character in the name or something. The one thing to note is that
there are a LOT of fields in this one table, 500+ I'd guess. Other databases
on this server (none this large but some fairly large) dump just fine. This
is the only one with a problem.

I've even ran mysqldump on other servers with a -h pointing over to this
server to try to get a dump of the data and see the same results. All
selects against this database seem to run fine (and fast) and I've rebooted
and shut down/restarted mysql multiple times.

I'm at a loss and have to suspect it might be a mysql bug at this point...

Thanks in advance!

PS. Threw in a -t to mysqldump to not produce the table create data and it
got about 20K (versus ~40K previously) into the dump and stopped at the end
of an insert. Plenty of RAM and plenty of disk space on the server too...