> 1. Please explain the above in detail.

It depends on the type of table you're using.  If you're using a table type
that only supports table-level locking, then each transaction is isolated by
being suspended until the previous transaction is done.  This is slower
if you do a lot of longer transactions but quite safe.

>     I think the only difference is functions(COMMIT, ROLLBACK) support.

This is true, for some table types -- for others, you'll find things work
as you expected -- see InnoDB or that other table type (Gemini :-).
--
Michael T. Babcock
http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock/