>> I have been told it is possible to embed MySQL in an application such that
>> the user never knows a database is running underneath the app. Where can I
>> find more information about doing this?

>That's simple - as you write the application, keep the user interface and
>database totally seperate. It's as easy as writing any application that uses
>a database, you just have to worry a little more about which information you
>present to the user.

>I'm currently writing a database-backed web application (using perl and
>Template Toolkit) where the user will never have to know about the existence
>of keys or anything like that. As it happens, the code doesn't *have* to run
>off a database at all (it's nicely modular) but it's the best way of
>organising my information.

I didn't make myself clear. Of course a user should NEVER see a database key.
The design of the software will have a distinctly separate database module.
The real point is, that a user can take the product out of shrink rap,
install it, run the program and never fiddle one iota with installation of
MySQL or even know that MySQL is running on the system. MySQL is entirely
embedded within the application. Sure I could write drivers in the database
module that did all this with flat-files, but ugh what a horrible thought.
The plan is in the future as the product line grows is to eventually tie
several products together through a seperate database engine, or have then as
stand-alone packages.

Microsoft advertises their MSDE (MS Data Engine), which does just this. Sits
inside a program and the user never has to do any database adminstration
functions--it's completly integrated into the program. Then their is the
option for a seemless upgrade to MS SQL Server when more power is needed. At
least that's the ad. My experience with MS products suggests that MSDE won't
work and then for a mere $(excessive figure here) I can upgrade to SQL
Server. I feel like it could be the classic bait and switch ploy on the part
of MS.

The MySQL folks have told me that this has been done and will be fully
supported as part of the next release. Problem is I have to demonstrate it
NOW, or I may end up stuck with MSDE since it exists NOW. MySQL is my
preferred option and I'd love to stick with it across all platforms the
product will be ported to.

--
Shawn P. Garbett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
See http://www.garbett.org/public-key for my PGP key