Hi,

Whats the most efficient way of doing a SELECT ... IN on a field of
datatype 'SET' ?

Say you have four types of 'permissions':
         - superuser
         - poweruser
         - normal
         - guest

Each user has a field, permissions, of type SET
("superuser","poweruser","normal","guest");
Each "resource" has a field, "AllowAccessIf", as above

Now I need to
 SELECT this,that,theother FROM table WHERE permissions IN
("superuser","poweruser","normal","guest");

his works fine if permissions is only one value, eg "superuser"
OR "poweruser", etc. However, if the user is "superuser,normal", then
ofcourse, it wont match...

How do I get around this? I'd prefer NOT to have to have a separate table
of 'permission types' or roles etc, as I feel this would slow the process
down, and also complicate adding, modifying and removing "users"
and "resources".

I'd prefer not to just have to go like IN
("superuser,powersuer,normal", "superuser,poweruser", "superuser,normal",
"normal,guest", "guest,superuser", "poweruser.......)

(The example is kinda simplified so that the question was)...

Siggy