Hello.
Im wondering whats up with lock tables in mysql.

i need to lock one table but also insert into another table that does not
have to be locked.
why does it need to lock both tables? this is pointless to me if one table
does not need
to be locked.

Also, from the mysql documentation :

If a thread obtains a WRITE lock on a table, then only the thread holding
the lock can READ from or WRITE to the table. Other threads are blocked

this is not true. if you have a write lock, any other connections can read
from that table
just not write to it. The documentation does not mention much about unlock
tables either
if you do "unlock table beer_table" does it unlock all over tables that are
lock or just that one?? can someone give me some insight as to how this
really works please. is there
any plans to make it so you can lock one table and do whatever you want to
tables that
are not locked without locking them? it makes sense to me. Also in the docs
its says not to use lock tables with insert delayed. but i found somewhere
else
on mysql.com/docs that it says you can. that is a big conflicting. thanks to
anyone
how sheds light on this.
peace