On 13 Aug 2001 21:11:21 -0700, Michael Collins wrote:

> Is there a common approach to searching within text columns that
> contain fairly large blocks of text (30,000 - 65,000 characters)? Is
> the recommendation, simply don't do it or is there some sort of
> workaround? I suppose one can search within these columns using the
> LIKE and % wildcards and risk slowing down activity to a crawl. I
> suppose indexing is not going to help in this case at all. But what
> does one do when it becomes more important that the search occur at
> all despite the time that it might take?

Search for "FULLTEXT" in the www.mysql.com and also please read the
following:

Dear user,

 Thank you for your technical question to the MySQL team.
 Unfortunately, our developers are not able to answer this type of
 inquiry if you have not purchased a technical support contract.

 MySQL is a fully open-source product.  This means that in nearly
 all circumstances you can use the MySQL database and its
 utilities entirely for free.

 Our main way of financing our team of 13 full-time developers is
 through paid support contracts purchased by customers like you.
 Without paid support contracts, MySQL simply would not exist.

 Our entry-level support contract costs just ?1000 EUROS annually
 (about $1115 USD), and our most expensive regular support is only
 ?5000 EUROS (about $5580 USD).   For corporations with
 requirements for high availability we have more expensive
 telephone support options.

 These are extremely low prices compared against your costs for
 proprietary database products, and are low even when compared to
 rates charged by other open-source vendors.   The PC you use for
 email probably cost more!

 So please consider investing in a MySQL support contract.  You
 will be served not by a help desk, but directly by the developers
 who author MySQL's source code.

   Information:  http://www.mysql.com/support/index.html
   Questions? :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   To Purchase:  https://order.mysql.com/

 I myself was once a MySQL customer who was delighted with the
 skill and responsiveness of the MySQL team.   I think you will
 share the same reaction.

 Sincerely,

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/