Hello all,
I reinstalled mysql3.23.40 server twice on freebsd 4.3, and I am still
having the problem that mysqld would not load up just after booting.  I ran
safe_mysqld& as root, and then it loaded fine.

I checked that /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh exists, but it is not
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        start)
                if [ -x /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld ]; then
                        /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld > /dev/null & && echo -n
' mysqld'
                fi
                ;;
        stop)
                /usr/bin/killall mysqld > /dev/null 2>&1 && echo -n '
mysqld'
                ;;
        *)
                echo ""
                echo "Usage: `basename $0` { start | stop }"
                echo ""
                exit 64
                ;;
esac

Notice that I took out the "-user=mysql"  It didn't work with it in there or
not.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks,
-Jon