I'm researching whether it is possible to store large amounts (30-70MB
files) into mysql columns.  It looks as if a LONG BLOB could handle this,
however I read that the communications buffer size can only support up to 16
MB transfers.  It also said that you could increase the size of the buffer,
however it never said the name of the variable setting to change to do this.
This server is a monster, and memory and disk space are not a problem, If I
can increase the "message buffer" will this allow me to store between
30-70MB files into these LONGBLOB fields?

I know it seems like I should just store them into the file system but the
application at hand needs them in a database (please don't make me explain
why :-) ). Does anyone know whether MySQL is powerful enough to handle this
amount of data in a single column?  Are there any other special
considerations I should take in with doing this?

Thanks,
Trevor

Trevor F. Linton
Systems Administrator/Web Developer