I have spent a week trying to resolve this, searching without success :(

For the past week since an OS upgrade, the mysql log rotation fails...

----------
    errors occured while rotating /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log {

    ^G/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
    error running shared postrotate script for /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log {
----------

/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log {
  create 600 mysql mysql
  postrotate
  if test -n "`ps acx|grep mysqld`"; then
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin flush-logs
  fi
  endscript
}

I have proper settings in /root/.my.cnf file with user/pass which works.
    [mysqladmin]
    user = root
    password = itcroaks

I also have problems with using phpMyAdmin from my server domain.
----------------
    Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: 'programmer@localhost'
    (Using password: NO) in /home/programmer/public_html/phpMyAdmin/lib.inc.php3 on
line 170
----------------

I get the same problems with phpWeblog and WebMin.

The part that bothers me is "(Using password: NO)"
Why?  I only see this when I use "mysql -u root" without the -p option.
'root' has a password, as do all the MySQL users.

The thing I don't understand is that connecting from the command line for any
users works.
    # mysql -u {user} -p mysql

On the Mandrake-Linux 8.0 server, I have...
MySQL-shared-3.23.36-2mdk
MySQL-client-3.23.36-2mdk
MySQL-3.23.36-2mdk
perl-Mysql-1.22_15-5mdk