sql

Stefan Hinz schrieb am Freitag, 17. August 2001, 21:28:54:

> It's not secure, though
> (http://www.securereality.com.au/studyinscarlet.txt), so make sure to
> protect the directory it's "installed" in with .htaccess when running it
> on a public server.

To make a long story short: dont't trust user input.

It took me quite some time to read through all this stuff. In the
end, it is exactly as one of the quotes says:

"You know a conjuror gets no credit when once he has explained
his trick and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual
after all" - Sherlock Holmes

So all you have to do to make your phpMyAdmin unvulnerable is to
change 2 types of lines in 7 instances in 2 files, see:

http://www.securereality.com.au/patches/phpMyAdmin-SecureReality.diff

In particular, these are:

-    if(file_exists($goto))
+    if(file_exists("./$goto"))

-    include($goto);
+    include(preg_replace('/\.\.*/', '.', $goto));

With respect to general security, this is of interest also, in
case you don't know already

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Administration/WebSecurityI/

With respect to trusted data, Koehntopp talks about it in the
article "webtuning"

http://www.koehntopp.de/kris/artikel/webtune/

(German, not translated yet, try
http://fets3.freetranslation.com:5081/?Language=German%2FEnglish&Url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koehntopp.de%2Fkris%2Fartikel%2Fwebtune%2F&Sequence=core
machine translations are sometimes fine, but often
incomprehensible - seems like much work is left to be done there.
His point is that _nothing_ coming from out there should be
trusted and be checked against anticipated input.)

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de