I'm having a problem with my server getting bogged down once in a while and
I'm pretty sure it's due to the mysql daemon getting maxed out with what it
can do... when this happens there might be anywhere from 100 to 150
processes in the processlist and it might take as much as 30 seconds to
return a query via a web browser.  When it happens mysql is usually using
almost 100% cpu, but load stays around 1.3 to 1.5.  I'm running FreeBSD
4.3-Release and mysql 3.23.40   We recently upgraded both because of some
of the past comments about the sleeping threads on the list in slightly
older versions.  The server is dual P3-1G, 1g ram with SCSI drives on
single channel raid card.

Is there a very stable way to run multiple daemons on FreeBSD?  A howto or
some such thing that might describe setting it up.  I can run the memory up
to 4g on the machine if necessary to handle the extra memory requirements.
Also, are there changes I'll have to make to my apps that use mysql to deal
with this?  I searched the list for multiple daemons and didn't find much
there, maybe I'm using the wrong keywords to search for.  Any pointers or
help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry