Hi,
two questions:
1)On the mysql manual, section 4.12.16 Mysql-Win32
compared to Unix MySQL it sas that:
"Mysql uses a blocking read for each connection. This
means that:
A connection will not be disconnected automatically
after 8 hours, as happens with the Unix Version of
Mysql".
This is of interest, because I have an application
running continuously(on Linux) and filling in a Mysql
database.
 If the connection hangs up, this probably means that
 I will get corrupted  tables among other things.

I  wonder if  this is still true with recent
 Mysql editions and if there is a way to disable it on
Unix. In more detail now:
My application  wants to transfer data stored
 in some sort of zipped(not normal zip/gzip)
 files on a remote server into tables on my machine.
 To this end  the application opens bot a telnet and an
ftp
 connection to the remote server, runs a decompression
utility on the server, gets back the results as an
ascii file, parses it and stores it in the appropriate
database table. The list of files increases every 2
minutes
 and the  files are cyclicly rewritten every 4 months
or so.
 I am starting with some 3 months delay(that is there
is already 3 months data in there), but the whle
process is faster than the 2 minutes  it takes for a
new file to appear.

I am worried about the limit because this is not just
queries being run; there are open  database connections
and
 if disconnect occurs when  the application is writing
data to a table(and probably even if it does not ) the
tables will
 be corrupted and mysqlisamchk is a pain because there
are just too many tables in the database.
Are my worries correct? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
S.Alexiou