RH Linux 7.1, MySQL 3.23.41 source rpm

Hi,

I'm currently trying to do the following:

shell>rpm --rebuild MySQL-3.23.41-1.src.rpm

The rebuild always crashes out with the following error:

"checking whether the C compiler (ecgs -O3 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.2052 (%build)"

I've tried setting the following first:

shell> CC=gcc
shell> CFLAGS=-O3
shell> CXX=gcc
shell> CXXFLAGS=-O3
shell> export CC CFLAGS CXX CXXFLAGS

but it made no difference, the rpm still uses ecgs.

I have g++, libg++ and libstd++, but its the C compiler thats falling over
anyway not C++ - I can't even get to the configure stage!
I've seen posts regarding this error in hte archives but havn't seen
anything that can allow me to rebuild the binary from the source rpm.
If I tear any more of my hair out I'll be bald!

I have thought of trying the tar.gz source but I think I could run into
threading issues on Linux?
Pls note, the binary isn't a lot of use to me since I need all the shared
libraries to be installed too for use by another program (radius server).

cheers,

Paul